What is IPTV?
- IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) = TV over IP (IP + TV)
(Live content over IP)
If the question is what is IPTV then the answer is IPTV is the short form of Internet Protocol TV where Television over IP is called IPTV.
IPTV always provides traditional Television services like live channels to your home through the ISP (Internet Service Provider) Network.
Just for your understanding purposes, it can be said that It can be understood by assuming that a traditional Television is with ISP and you’re getting the feed of this Television over your internet connection whenever you want.
Actually, I ’ve used the below supposition for making you more understand the introductory idea of IPTV. So be sure that in reality, the whole process is different. For furnishing IPTV services, the driver receives the direct or live content (The Channels) from content providers (As example HBO, Discovery, National Geographic and etc.) through colorful styles. Perhaps the methods may be satellite downlinking, teleport, or over IP. Also process the content (encoding or transcoding, compression, encryption). After that multicast it within the network.
What is VoD?
VoD is the short form of Video on Demand where the videotape is being played over the IP.
- VoD (Video on Demand) = Video over IP
(Offline or Stored content over IP)
VoD is furnishing the stored content over IP for illustration pictures, series, music and etc.
Just for your understanding purposes, it can be said that It can be understood by assuming that your asked CD or DVD players are with ISP and you’re getting the feed of this CD or DVD on your internet connection whenever you would like it because the whole list of films is available to observe anytime.
Preliminarily like IPTV, I’ve used the below supposition for making you understand the introductory idea of VoD.
So, you can say that in factual the whole process is different. For furnishing VoD services, the user receives the Video content like Pictures, Series, Music and etc. from content providers. It can be from Warne Bros. Through colorful channels may be satellite downlinking, teleport, or over IP, process it garbling or transcoding, contraction, encryption. Also stores and after that sluice it within the network on your demand.
Picture From: www.on-streams.com
Also Read: What is the future of IPTV? (November 2021)
- IPTV requires applications, network stability, and infrastructure for content distribution. Also, IPTV uses a set-top box and an IPTV Service Provider.
- On the other hand, VOD does not require any different system operators to distribute content. It merely uses an unmanaged public network.
Type of casting:
- IPTV sends data across several users (as example multicasting).
- VOD provides data to a single user (as example unicasting).
Kind of content:
- IPTV provides live content like a traditional TV and also provides the content present on the internet using internet protocol.
- VOD only provides access to offline or stored content like a movie using the internet protocol.
- Type of content – IPTV is always live content (eg live football match) but VoD is stored content (any movie as illustration Titanic).
- Backend for providing the service – The setup vary as the type of content and the factual mode of delivery is different.
- Mode of delivery – IPTV is always multicasting (one to numerous) and VoD is unicasting (one to one).
- Bandwidth Application – IPTV is exercising the bandwidth in a better way but the purpose of both these services is completely different.
- User Experience – IPTV is real- time content, and it means to mention that it’s live. You ca n’t move forward with it (I ’m using only forward as there are colorful features available to pause any channel, rewind it, or catch up) but in the case of VoD, you have all the access to use PVR functions.
Hope your confusion is finish now about the differences between IPTV and VoD. For further differences like this visit IPTVJournal. Comment below for any confusion about IPTV.